Certified Public Manager® Program
The Kansas Certified Public Manager® (CPM) program is a professional education opportunity for managers working in government agencies, nonprofits, and organizations that contract to provide public services and meet community needs.CPM is a nationally accredited management program and certification in which participants develop and strengthen their management skills through our competency based curriculum. The program can fill a training gap for staff with significant technical expertise who seek to further their knowledge of current management practices.
The Kansas Certified Public Manager program was established in 1993 and since that time close to 1,500 public managers from all across the state have completed certification. The CPM certificate is a nationally recognized emblem of management excellence.
Program Objectives and Format
The Kansas CPM program offers a blended learning approach of classroom hours, online learning, and outside assignments to meet 300 hours of structured learning. Along the way, participants complete a capstone project focused on an opportunity for cost savings, revenue generation, process improvement, or innovation in their workplace. Participants meet in the classroom two days per month for one year, starting in January. In 2016 the program is being offered in three locations: Topeka, the Kansas City area, and Hays.
The Certified Public Manager program:
- Provides a foundation of knowledge and skills in management practices for managers at all levels in government and public-serving organizations.
- Offers opportunities for professional and personal growth for public-sector employees.
- Fosters effective management practices in government and nonprofit organizations.
The Kansas CPM program complies with the guidelines and standards established by the National Certified Public Manager Consortium» and its curriculum requirements. Other Kansas CPM partners include:
- Kansas Association of Counties
- League of Kansas Municipalities
- Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)
The Kansas Certified Public Manager® curriculum is designed to reflect the management skills and competencies needed to successfully manage projects, people, policies, and programs in today's public sector workplace.
- Power of Leadership
- Innovation and Creativity
- Budget and Collaboration
- Coaching and Performance Management
- HR Policies for Public Managers
- Organizational Behavior and Change
- Diversity and Building Relationships
- Public Service 101
- Public Policy
- Conflict Management and Mediation
- Communication That Gets Results
- Knowledge Management and Succession Planning
- Reframing Organizations
- Management Practices I (Emotional Intelligence)
- Management Practices II (Project Management)
- Management Practices III (Capstone Project)
- Individual Management Development Plan
In 2016, the Kansas Certified Public Manager® program is being offered in the Kansas City area, in Topeka and in Hays, based on minimum enrollments.
Participants enroll in a "home" location that they attend most of the time. However, we recognize that work responsibilities and vacation schedules may make attendance at the home location impossible for some meeting days. Participants are welcome to attend at one of the other locations when necessary to make up a class.
Please contact Terri Callahan if you have questions about CPM.